Friday, June 9, 2017

I have often complained about the removal of the drum circle in the loop with its ongoing gentrification, and a friend told me that it had not been removed, but it had changed. I didn't understand completely what she referred to until today.  On my way to my car after finishing my paper at the library, I heard drums. I was excited to hear drums again, to be in the middle of that energy that a crowd vibing to earthy beats emit. Unfortunately, when I walked over it was quiet, still if not for the drummers. Only one child playing, no dancing, no one giving the drummers energy to feed their energy and I was confused.  The whitewash version of the drum circle and I am not referring to the drummers (I will get to that later), sadden me.  It is not the drummer, but the lack of participation and why there is a lack of community involvement.  The quad was virtually empty, except for the drummers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment