Sunday, July 10, 2016

buying black

I was talking to one of my daughters's about the economic power that Black Americans have, and that we don't understand how we could shut systems down by wielding this power.  The issue is we are used to creature comforts.  Meals cooked in  20 minutes and under, because everything is bought already prepared, or healthy remedies, pre-packaged as natural, sold at a discount rate. That is the key, discount rate.  These businesses buy in bulk so that they can sell at competitive prices, and that is all and good, but what about those small, up and coming ventures, headed by those who look like you.

First, we must change our mindset.  Just because it is cheap, clearly does not mean it is right for us, especially as a people.  Black-own does not mean inferior.  I think I should repeat that.  BLACK OWNED DOES NOT MEAN INFERIOR.  The reason I would like to bring light to this particular mindset is when you buy black; please expect to pay a little more.  This is an investment in who you are and where you fit in this chaotic world.  We have been brainwashed to believe anything black is substandard. They sell us this bullshit so often; we begin to believe that it is our original thought.  Why is it the only time Black owned business succeed is when white people find validity in it.

Pay a little more, because it is an investment in your own life. I am starting to buy black, whenever possible, and it is not cheap but I have found the beauty in a well-made skirt, vibrant in color and soft to the touch.  I find that my daughters and my sons hair is rich, thick and soft to the touch.  I used so many store bought products for my face, to slow aging and whatever else it promised, found that coconut oil and cocoa butter is damn near perfect.  The money I have saved in discontinuing purchasing these products, will go to those victims that can no longer help their own.  I learn that I LOVE African cuisine, because I no longer eat Applebee's.  I reminded myself I can cook, and my burgers do taste better than Wendy's, and if I want to dine out, Sweet Pie's is out there, and I know there are more.

So here is a challenge, send me the names and locations of Black owned business.  Where are they?
What do they sale? How do we reach out to them?  We need to start building ourselves, before we are no longer.  As history has proven over and over again, unless we hit them in the pocket, they are deaf to our voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment